• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Better to eat before a work out or after?

Process

Bluelighter
I searched google and got mixed answers. I would like to get in the habit of working out when I wake up, and before I go to bed. Would it be better to eat a light meal before working out for some energy, or to work out then eat after?

Anyone have a good work out routine or website i can look out? I only have 1 30 pound weight and well be working out in my home. Thanks.

It really depends on what your goals are in terms of how you want your bodyweight and/or bodyfat percentage to change. If you can answer these questions, then we can give you more taylor-made answers.

I'm pretty skinny, 140 pounds and 5'8. I'm looking to build my lower body in the morning and upper at night. Just looking to gain some healthy mass. I would like to get my weight at 150 pounds at least.

I would say to eat a meal of ~300 calories/~25g protein 45 minutes before you work out, down ~30g of protein via a shake immediately after your workout, and then eat a meal of 300-400 calories/~30g protein 45-60 minutes after your workout. If you insist on working out twice a day like this (I'd seriously think about giving yourself at least 72 hours between doing the exact same thing to the same part of the same musclue group(s) if you want to maximize mass gains), then do it in this fashion for both workouts. With your minimal access to weights, I'd try and come up with as many exercises as possible, and spread them out over a few days to avoid repetition.

Also, to gain weight, count the amount of calories you're taking in per day on average, and increase this by about 25%. Meaning, if you're eating 2000 calories per day, shoot for 2500 (but just by adding more *healthy* food, as opposed to getting the extra through junk). If you can stick at this, you can easily hit 160lbs by Halloween.

Sweet thanks alot for the info, I plan on doing lower body morning and upper body night, so i dont over do it.

gaining mass?
eat before, during and after :p

eat eat eat

redleaders advice is good. bump the calories up until you start seeing results. you have to be patient though. and dont eat junk cos it will just make you fat. even if you are a hard gainer

I'm a recovering stimulent abuser, how long should my work outs be for someone starting?

I'm a recovering stimulent abuser, how long should my work outs be for someone starting?

It really depends. How long have you been without regular exercise? Apply the same philosophy as you should to drug use: start small and work your way up. If you're going for healthy weight gain, aerobic exercise (ie running) isn't really the way to go, but it is excellent for your heart. As a recovering stimulant abuser your heart has probably been beaten pretty badly so if you decide to run take it easy at first and listen to your body. If you decide to lift weights, to gain mass you need to do less reps and heavier weights. For each exercise, try to use a weight that you struggle with on the last few reps, and try to keep the reps around 6-10 per set. Higher reps are usually better for toning rather than gaining. In addition to that, like versd said, eat eat eat. If you don't eat enough, even if you are lifting weights you aren't going to get any heavier.
But to actually answer your question, there isn't really a good answer with the information you've given. Learn from experience; if you're beat after 30 minutes, quit working out. When you are exhausted, your form may become less than perfect which increases the potential for injury and reduces the benefits you get from most exercises, especially weight lifting.